Architect David Jameson completed Barcode House in Washington, DC earlier this year. The project entailed creating a freestanding, modern addition to an existing, vertically-oriented urban row house. The extension is composed of a completely see-through, two-story, glass structure in front of a narrow concrete tower. A lyrical pattern of black steel rods that resemble a barcode run across the two glass façades, hence the name.
I had a dream about la science des reves. I can recall many images from this film but cannot seem to recall who I saw it with. I switched to gmail and google calendar in December 2006 so I have no documentation whatsoever. Not remembering stuff makes me feel old!!!
October 1, 2006
The Science of Sleep made tiny explosions on my dilated pupils. I know it’s too much of too much (just click on the website) but the word overdose does not exist in that world. It’s about this guy who designs calendars where each month features a great disaster. He falls in love with this girl that makes boats full of trees and gives her a time machine. In conclusion, perfect date movie.
Winter Market @ Distillery District
- I’m feeling super super super happy today.
- A couple days ago, on my way to coffee, I ran into Barry. I consider him my first career mentor. He is the one that convinced me life insurance is more interesting than property casualty insurance. He used to come to Manulife scholar events. I used to send him emails where I refer to him as Gandalf and myself as Frodo. I was a bit sad last year when I found out he will be joining Pacific Life as part of the reinsurance transaction. But the Toronto actuarial world is very small so I don’t think we will lose touch.
- I was a bit sad last year when Naveed left. But he seems happy with his new (reinsurance/consulting) opportunity so I’m happy for him. I always knew that he was well connected but it’s even more obvious to me now. Gotta work on people skills!
- I’m starting a new role in two weeks. I will be reporting to Trevor, who I met in 2008 in HK. He has given me tonnes of great advice since then. Also, I will be part of a much bigger team so more people to learn from.
- I’m starting to send emails to people to thank them for helping me in my current role. Marc responded and told me that I have “a very nice disposition”. I don’t think this is true 100% of the time but being told that I have “a very nice disposition” makes me more nicely disposed.
photo from garancedore.fr
telegraph: Pheobe Philo, creative director at Céline, has announced she is expecting her third child in April and as a result, will be cancelling the brand’s autumn/winter 2012 catwalk show this March. But never fear, those thrown into disappointment by the news will be pleased to know that Céline isn’t leaving the schedule altogether, but will be hosting an informal presentation to a small crowd of journalists in place of the catwalk show, which Philo will attend. “The objective is to simplify.”