i++ Beautiful summer walk to St James Cemetery via Cabbagetown
i++ For brunch, he made super delish French toast …
i++ … and I made cauliflower rice with smoked herring inspired by salt cod cakes from Newfoundland
Walking to Tsujiri to pick up the matcha desserts, he said: look, maple keys. Indeed, bright tulips floating on a sea of maple keys.
He is officially on a low sodium diet so I’m trying to reinvent our favorite recipes. For example, instead of parmesan crusted sole, I’m thinking break crumbs + lemon peel + lemon oil. Add
red cabbage slaw and we have a fish taco bowl.
Even without new constraints, I’m not a fan of redoing the same thing. The problem is that it’s never as good. Not because it’s actually less good but we can always find something wrong when there exists a basis for comparison.
For 2017, I’m thinking seared scallops (with lime zest) + minced pork red curry (with arugula) + celery salad (with white hominy) + black bean soup (with tortilla).
— Sunkist Growers (@Sunkist) December 27, 2016
1. When I fly to St Louis on a Sunday afternoon, he takes me to the UP station and each time, we say: Wouldn’t it be nice to grab a drink at the UPstairs Lounge? So that’s where we kicked off the weekend at 6:30 on Friday (with jazz and blinking departure lights)
2. Followed by unplanned dinner at Bravi. I was here a while ago for a corporate event. On a surprisingly quiet night, it’s rather romantic with salty olives and lush calamari
3. And somehow we find ourselves singing ain’t she sweet (and now I ask you very confidentially)
5. Followed by unplanned walk through Acadia (and I picked up some Chekhov short stories)
6. For dinner, I made two vegetable dishes with a little extra apple cider vinegar while he prepared rice and meatballs (as 50/50 as 50/50 can be)
Fei is organizing an exploding kittens evening in December and I will be hosting potluck with Special Guest Baby G
Caprese + Charcuterie (Fei)
Butter Bean + Celery + Lime Zest
Mystery Tart (Jess)
On Tuesday, I got up at 4 am for my 8 am flight because I need to renew my work visa. I went into secondary and waited and waited and got rejected. Even though I’ve had TN visa for most of my working life. The upside is that, on the ride back on the Union Pearson, I got a nice view of the sun rising over Toronto.
This weekend: attempt visa renewal at land border. The upside is that, he’s been wanting to visit Buffalo for a while. We are thinking silo city and blue sky mausoleum.
Next weekend: hot pot party with Anne & Josh.
Next next next weekend: he will make roast for my mum’s birthday.